Sunday, July 8, 2012

Does a Mashup of Media References a Cartoon Make?

The local free weekly runs a comic panel called The HR Department by Ed Harrington. (I don't know if it's syndicated or not ' the problem with calling your comic something so generic means it's darn near impossible to google for information.) Here's the latest example:

HR Department by Ed Harrington

While it tickled me, before I stopped to think about it, I also found myself wondering if this comic made any sense at all to someone who doesn't recognize the Mythbusters cast members. Aquaman's more well-known, I guess, but then there's the combination of the two. Is it funny? Or just self-satisfying when the reader recognizes all the references?

(And in the 'killing the joke' category ' Aquaman spends all his time in water. Where his hand is shouldn't matter.)

Similar Posts: Super Friends Video Clip § Mythbusters Marathon and Sweepstakes § How to Make Superhero Comics Interesting Again § Tiny Titans #33 § How to Make Your Free Sample Digital Comic Useful

2 Comments »



0 comments:

Post a Comment