Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Why Create a Digital Magazine? Free Comic Anthology

I got an email from someone who's created a free digital comic anthology called Premier Pulp!, seeking links to get more of an audience.

Premier Pulp

I checked out an issue, briefly, but it left me with more questions than enjoyment. Because each installment is available as a file (CBR or PDF), it takes some time to download. Now, someone with a reader may like having a file to transfer to their tablet or phone, but I just found it unnecessary delay. Why not put the comics directly on the web? Why keep the old-style, declining 'magazine' format in a new medium? Instead of trying to mimic a print artifact, why not build a website with your comics and features and update more frequently?

As is typical of these kinds of projects, the quality of work varies greatly, with several of the selections rather amateurish. After the third piece I put in that category, I quit reading. Plus, with a quarterly release schedule, telling continuing, chaptered stories is annoying, at least to this reader. You expect me to remember to come back in three months for a few more pages?

Also, I think the title is misleading. 'Pulp' suggests noir to me, retro storytelling, prose instead of comics.

Overall, just putting out free comics isn't enough to get an audience any more. There are so many choices available that you need to stand out with quality. For me, this publication didn't pass the test.

Similar Posts: 2012 Free Comic Book Day Features Free Hardcover Anthology § CD Art Celebrates Mad Magazine § Read Continuity for Free § Digital Comic Codes: Is a Free Online Copy Worth Losing the Ability to Browse? § Thoughts on PDF Review Copies

1 Comment »



0 comments:

Post a Comment