Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Good Comics Out April 18

Image of Good Comics Out April 18

It's the revenge of the single issue, as this week has more out than typical for me!

My favorite discovery was Resident Alien #0 (Dark Horse, $3.50), which I reviewed this weekend, while my most anticipated is the return of Linda Medley's Castle Waiting! Issue #16 ($3.95) is out from Fantagraphics, and I hope it begins a long and enjoyable run of the title. Here's some more information from Kim Thompson.

On the superhero side, I've been enjoying Wolverine and the X-Men #9 (Marvel, $3.99). And perhaps it's shallow of me, but I'm going to try Defenders #5 again because there's a Walt Simonson Variant Cover (Marvel, whatever your retailer will charge).

Autobio readers will want to be sure to check out Harvey Pekar's Cleveland (Top Shelf, $21.99). Back when Flashmob Fridays was running, I posted my reactions to the title as part of that roundup; the short version is that it's a great book and a particularly good introduction to Pekar's flavor of comics, blending his life memories with thoughts on his hometown. Artist Joseph Remnant is very well-suited to the material. Publishers Weekly has more background on how the book came about.

For history buffs, Archie Archives Volume 5 (Dark Horse, $49.99) brings new comedy adventures of the classic teen boy.

Horror fans, it's bonus time for you. I enjoyed the stories in Abe Sapien: The Devil Does Not Jest (Dark Horse, $17.99) and the illustrations Becky Cloonan added to Dracula: The Illustrated Novel (Harper Collins, $17.99). For more vampires, Matt Maxwell brings us Strangeways: The Thirsty (Highway 62 Press, $17.95). His first book in the Western/horror series was Strangeways: Murder Moon, which tackled werewolves.

I'm not sure where to categorize The Shark King (Toon Books, $12.95) by R. Kikuo Johnson ' it's a fable/monster/fantasy/kid-grows-up story, but regardless, it's lovely to look at.

What are you looking forward to this week?



0 comments:

Post a Comment