Sunday, April 22, 2012

Local Store Attacks Free Comic Book Day, Offers Cookies Instead

I was a tad surprised to get a postcard yesterday from a local three-store comic outlet promoting their 'Free Chocolate Cookie Day' on May 4, 5, and 6. (Yeah, it's not a day, it's a weekend.) Especially when I saw that they were ripping off the Free Comic Book Day logo. (The bite marks are where the TM trademark notice appears.) Compare:

Free Chocolate Cookie Day imageFree Comic Book Day logo

I thought, well, ok, you want to do something that weekend without the minimal buy-in to participate in the official Free Comic Book Day program, I guess no one can stop you' but I was shocked when I saw them actively talking down what all the other comic stores in town are doing. Their website is currently running this blurb:

Stories web text

I wanted to capture the image in case they change it. The first line says, 'We wanted to offer something better than lame advertisements on Free Comic Book Day' We're offering food and discounts!' Yeah, that's a great teaser to get people into your COMIC BOOK store ' call comics 'lame ads'. This particular store is rather old school, in that they have plenty of back issues and trade paperbacks, but they aren't in the best condition, and they often look pawed over. I can't visit for long, because there's a thin layer of dust over everything, and the store concept appears to be 'cram as much stuff in as possible'.

I wish them good luck, but I won't be visiting. Ed and several other local fans put together a caravan every year where we hit every store in town EXCEPT for this chain, because they don't participate. I guess they finally got tired of not being part of Comics' National Holiday ' but this just looks petty.

Similar Posts: 5 Ways to Get Free Comics: Free Comic Book Day May 1 § Happy Free Comic Book Day! § Free Comic Book Day Saturday, May 7 § Lush Comics Provides Free Indy Digital Publishing for iPad, Android § Today's Comic Store Story

Comment now »



0 comments:

Post a Comment